Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-lens and lens bracket.
From: Henry Ting <henryting10@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:23:04 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Dave and the Birdman.

As much as I like the M and the mid-format, I cannot
do without the SLR system. I used the Nikon for many
years and is now building up a Leica R system. The
ballhead I used for the Hasselblad was the Arca-Swiss
B1, but now I changed it to Acratech with the
Arca-type clamp. While the B1 is a very solid ballhead
and I have no problem mounting even a LF, but it's
just too bulky for the Leica M, The Acratech is
definitely lighter and just as smooth as the B1. The
problem with Arca-type ballheads is that while its
very secure, you need dedicated plates for everything.
From camera bodies to lens. Since I'm building up an R
system, I just want to make sure how many of these
plates I need. It could get costly at about $60
apiece. Changing plates as one changes the lens is not
an option (I personally hate changing lens even, let
alone having to attach plates, when and while I need
them). So minimally, you need plates for your camera
bodies, lens, and any other accessories such as
bellows etc.

Question for the Birdman....
For someone just starting to buildup a Leica R outfit
with the intend of shooting wildlife (birds, florals
etc), which tele length would you recommend as a start
? Or for all practical reasons, would you recommend
the zoom lens.