Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-lens and lens bracket.
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 21:46:15 -0800

on 3/8/02 8:23 PM, Henry Ting at henryting10@yahoo.com wrote:

> Question for the Birdman....
> For someone just starting to buildup a Leica R outfit
> with the intend of shooting wildlife (birds, florals
> etc), which tele length would you recommend as a start
> ? Or for all practical reasons, would you recommend
> the zoom lens.

I won't recommend anything I haven't used so I won't recommend a zoom.  The
Wolfman of Nova Scotia (Robert Stevens) should be able to tell you about the
105-280.

I find a 280-ish lens to be handy for larger wildlife in dense brush or
other areas with restricted visibility, though if I were after some of the
largest critters I sure wouldn't go looking for 'em in dense brush.  Most
wildlife photography begins at 400mm and the long end is limited by
atmospheric disturbances, technique and your wallet.  I typically try to use
shorter focal lengths than many wildlife photographers, relying on getting
to know the animals (and letting them get to know me) rather than
overpowering their flight distance with a big lens.

For florals I find the 60mm macro lens too short for two reasons: I cast a
shadow on my subjects and the background includes too much stuff.  The 100
APO is fantastic because of its unbelievable optical performance, the
greater working distance, and the ability to unclutter backgrounds using its
more limited field of view.  I've also put a whole stack of extension tubes
on the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt for floral and insect photos.  This lens works well
assuming good technique.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
www.wildlightphoto.com