Subject: Re: [Leica] flange stamp: now which camera to motorize
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 07:44:46 -0700

Now there is an easy question to answer. Since your M4-2 camera dates from
1978, do not even think about using a winder on it. The early winder
mechanism has a coupling to shutter that wears and allows the mechanism to
slip a tooth or two. This will result in the winder/camera combo jamming,
even a RapidWinder will jam in this situation. Now that is a best case
scenario. In the worst case, the out of adjustment wind mechanism also takes
out your flash sync contacts and, if you keep pushing the button, your
shutter. It all gets very expensive in a hurry.

How do I know this? Do not ask!
(Thankfully my shutter is OK)

Fortunately it is easy to update to the M4-P style of winder coupling. It
was redesigned so that the winder mechanism is attached solidly to the
shutter mechanism. No chance for wear to *%£@$! up. So if you are going to
use that camera with a winder have the M4-P style winder internals put in.

John Collier

You do remember that you are supposed to beware the Ides?