Subject: Re: [Leica] Draping your second Leica
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 07:08:45 -0800

Bob Kramer wrote:
>>> If at an event where being subtle isn't an issue, like when I went to
Mardi
> Gras last month, I like three cameras, all around the neck ready to go.  I
> don't mess around with different strap lengths, just let them bang
together,
> SL with 180mm/4.0 in the middle with the M4 on the right and the M3 on the
> left.  That way I know where each camera is when I want to grab a
different
> focal length.  Some people complain about the weight, but I have gone all
> day with the three cameras around my neck, and have not found it to be a
> problem.<<<

Howdy Bob,
At one time I worked using your method of hanging them at the same length,
horizontally, as I was too lazy to adjust neck straps to hang one above the
other.

Not that I'm a worry wart about M's clanking to-gether, but there were a few
times it seemed the one in the middle got hammered a bit to often from each
side, so I reset straps to try carrying them one above the other, with the
Noctilux always at the bottom of the three or two. It felt more comfortable
and without question it seemed to afford a better handling.

It made life much easier, cut down on the camera to camera thumping and
actually made it handier for grabbing one or the other for shooting. When I
carry three R cameras, rarely do I carry two on the neck, a tad heavier
certainly all motor driven.

It's one on the neck, one on each shoulder or two on the left shoulder and
one on the neck. Which shoulder is best? The photographer has to find that
out for himself as each has a dominant shoulder much like a dominant eye.

It's the one affording the most comfort against body and manageable for
handling.

But hanging a couple M's on the neck shouldn't be a problem for anyone and
if they use a Noctilux, as long as they hang it on the bottom camera they
will always be balanced.

And as I've posted in the past when it's three M's and three R's? The M's
are neck as usual, two R's on the left shoulder, one on the right and
they're all manageable. Certainly with neck straps adjusted correctly it
becomes as natural as wearing your clothes. Yeah right! ;-) Honest guys and
gals.:-)
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant