Subject: Re: [Leica] Microprisms for R8?
From: "Douglas Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:00:30 +0800

Julian Koplen wrote:

> I may wind up with the central microprisms on the R8 to make its use with
> shorter lenses a little more comfortable.  I can still use ground glass in
> the periphery for focusing the 400.  And I've still avoided the central
> split image mess.  To tell the truth, all this has more to do with a feeling
> of security (comfort) in focusing than with any problem I've actually
> experienced with performance.

That's my experience too.  I've only used an R8 for a few hours (a BALUG field trip) and the results were great, but for the really difficult situations I prefered the SL's viewscreen.

The split-image focussing aid doesn't do anything for me.  I suppose if I used more wide-angle lenses I'd feel differently but I had the viewscreen in my beater SL2 changed to the microprism screen.  It makes the coarse microprism area much easier to use.

- --

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com