Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 and the Antireflection Coating on the VF
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:45:08 -0700

My first M4-2 was in the 1529xxx range with the new style viewfinder. It did
not flare like my TTL but matched my M2 exactly. My latest M4-2 has a serial
number of 1480814 (very early) and it flares exactly the same as my TTL. It
has the early style finder. I enquired about having a six frameline masked
set put in and Gerry, with camera in hand, said that he would have to remove
the condenser lens to fit the newer mask set and that this sometimes caused
problems with focusing accuracy. The patch wanders as the eye moves in the
finder (only on some cameras mind you).

So the mystery continues. I asked Gerry what he thought caused the finder
flare in later Ms and he speculated that some prism edges needed blackening.

I must confess that the rangefinder flare just does not bother me anymore.
If it flares, I centre my eye and that is that. It has become an automatic
reflex now.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de (Re: [Leica] M7 and the Antireflection Coating on the VF)