Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Pondering an R8
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:29:55 -0500

This exchange is a perfect example of how different people can look at the
same thing and see totally different things in front of them.

It's no secret here that I use F100s along with my Ms. Unlike Rolfe, I like
the handling, like the weight, and like the performance. I have had one
problem - which was the result of a particular part being too flimsy - but
it was quickly fixed and I haven't had any quality issues since...and I try
to be careful with my equipment, but don't baby it. Having handled R8s - but
never owned one - I was not at all impressed with either the ergonomics or
the feel of the camera.

As to the 180 2.8 issue - I have an old Nikon AI 180 2.8 ED lens which I use
with the F100s. And even though it is one of the older Nikon lenses - metal
construction, etc. etc. - it is surprisingly compact and, for what it is,
surprisingly light. I can walk around with it over a should for hours at a
time without it's being a big deal.

As to the general build quality question - there is absolutely no doubt - in
my mind - that Leica's lenses hold the world crown in terms of build
quality. There is also no doubt in my mind that many of the lens in the
Nikon and Canon autofocus lines are pretty shoddy when it comes to build.
HOWEVER - the Nikon and Canon "pro" lenses tend to be quite well built and
solid - for autofocus lenses.

As to the Contax - Both the bodies and lenses appear to be quite solid.
BUT - the range of lenses is quite limited when compared to Nikon or Canon.

And, yes, the R6.2 is a neat little mechanical body.

It all comes down, once again, to what tools work for you.

And that said, I can see a day when I will dump my Nikon gear to replace it
with Canon - for the simple reason that, along with it's cement block
top-of-the-line bodies, Canon makes several cheap bodies that, for SLRs, are
virtually silent - which is important to me in the work I do. In fact, in an
environment with any kind of background noise, the new EOS Elan 7 is damn
close in noise level to an M6.

B. D>