Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 question
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:10:10 -0400

Javad:

Erwin Puts warns about comparing lenses of drastically different focal
lengths. It is at the bottom of the report linked below:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/mseries/testm/M28-24.html

To Quote Erwin Puts:

"Many users could make a small mistake when comparing lenses. If you would
use a Summicron-M 50mm and a Elmarit-M 24 mm side by side and take pictures
of the same object at the same distance the Summicron will win. Simply a
matter of magnification. As the focal length of the E is half the one of
the S any small detail that is reproduced by the E is also reduced twice in
comparison to the S. So detail rendition of the S is invariably better. The
meaningful comparison would be to take pictures at 100x the focal length
and then you will notice that the E is almost equal to the S."

Regards,

Robert