Subject: [Leica] In defense of digital
From: Roy Feldman <royfel@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 20:45:45 -0500

Let me start saying I love the M series, I use it for doing up close human
interest stories, in low light situations and when the task of carrying a
fully loaded digital kit all day in the field would be so much of a
hardship it would distract from my picture taking ability. That said:
I use the D1x a lot. I shot a catalog (parts on seamless), it consisted of
70 parts, the images were only going to be 4X6. I was able to (with one
click) balance the color without any filters. The client wanted an end
product of electronic files. By saving the client film, processing and
scanning charges I saved the client about $800 and was able to turn the
job in one day.
A press conference occurred at about 3pm, most papers like to get images
by about 4 to make a deadline, I was able to transmit to the wire within
about 15 minutes the images.
Were they of overwhelming optical merit? No...but...Translated into
newspaper quality they looked great.
This group can look down it's nose at digital capture,  but it has paid
for the investment I made in it tenfold by increased jobs.
I will continue to use the M's as a specialized tool, but if I were to say
I use the M or nothing ,I would lose about $40,000 of business a year.
Roy Feldman
Ford Photographic
rfeldma1@ford.com

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] In defense of digital)