Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: +AFs-Leica+AF0- Burned hole in shutter - clarification needed
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:59:22 -0800

At 4:19 PM -0800 1/29/02, Ted Bayer wrote:
>I haven't followed this thread so pardon me if this has already been
>said -- but I believe leaving the camera focus on infinity is perhaps
>the easiest way to burn the shutter -- also leaving it, as stated, set
>to the smaller apertures will also case a problem.

If you want to burn the shutter, leave the lens at the widest
aperture (f/1 is nice) because that allows the most energy to pass,
and focus it somewhat closer than infinity. The 'best' distance
varies with the lens, as 21's have to be set at their closest
distance, and 50's at around 7' or so. You are trying to focus an
object at infinity on a surface at a 'focal plane' that is in front
of the film plane. Also, it should be somewhat off-center if the M6
shutter is cocked, to avoid the white spot. It reflects a lot of
energy, instead of absorbing it. On pre-M6 bodies it obviously
doesn't matter.

With a bit of trial and error, you'll get it right :-).

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com