Subject: Re: [Leica] Arne's PAW #3 and #4 for 2002
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:58:31 +1100

>  >
>>I agree -- is she "there" because you used the rangefinder and then
>>didn't "re-compose" the image? Only because I do this all the time
>>
>>Beautiful portrait otherwise
>>

>Thanks!
>
>Yes, she's "there" due to the use of the rangefinder.  Distance to
>subject is about 1.5m.  At f1.4, that does not yield much DOF for
>anything but small pictures.  I used Tina's trick here; prefocusing,
>and moving back/forth until I had Cindy's left eye in focus.  If I
>re-compose after that I usually end up with an out-of focus picture.
>
>-- Arne

G'day Arne,

I'm sure others have better advice, but for me, I compose the type of
scene I want first, focus then return "quickly" to that set up and
take. For years my father used an SLR polaroid camera SX70 I think,
and all his portraits were in the lower third of the image, the focus
patch being towards the bottom of the viewfinder. I still slap myself
when a roll of film returns, and I've fallen for the same trap again.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com