Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - Week 3 - SlideOne
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:10:05 +0100

John,

> http://slideone.com/PAWimages/week03.02.html
> Self Crit: I like the snow blur and the salt patterns on the pavement. The
> woman is caught at the right time in front of the tall brick section
> avoiding her head from getting lost in the BG. I wish she was running the
> other direction to get a little more profile of the face and fighting
> against the snow... Overall an ok shot maybe a 6/10...maybe not...

You point it out yourself implicitly...You are just too far from the woman and
turned the wrong way for the image to have a really strong impact.

> http://slideone.com/PAWimages/week03alt.02.html
> Self Crit: I like the loneliness of the shot & the crossing of the swings.
> The big detraction is the two footprints in the snow. Using a slower shutter
> speed and having the swings blurred would help a lot too...

This is for me the better image of the two. I like the sense of emptiness
conveyed, and the swings make for a nice, graphic composition. I would suggest
that you should have turned the camera slightly to the left so the you get more
of the swing on the left in the frame. Also, a wider aperture that threw the
background out of focus would have been beneficial.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland