Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol results?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:36:30 -0800

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> See how they print for you first, then let us hear your problems.
>
> >Just out of the darkroom where I processed two rolls of TMAX 400 in
> >XTOL 1:3 and the results are surprising.  Having never used XTOL I
> >did not know what to expect.  I used dev times from the Massive
> >Development Chart - 15 minutes for the roll shot at 800 and 13.5 for
> >the one shot at 400 - 70deg, agitation every minute by hand.

We see that massive chart with all these asa's to choose it's a vast
exciting pallet.
It gives a very false impression.
My first experience with a film developer combination I'd rate the film
at the normal speed.

And I have not found Xtol to be a realistic developer for pushing.
And Modern T grain films would have a thinner look to still print well.
If your film looks perfect to meaty then you've over developed it.
They should look a tad thinner than Tri X or HP5.
But if they are so thin you need to print with higher contrasts than you
like then just give your negs more time next time in the developer.

These times you get from charts and other people are just starting
times. They will be a few minutes off at least.
There are just too many variables, many hidden and not obvious.

But if your Xtol is now sitting in a half filled bottle or was before
than it's anything goes.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com