Subject: Re: [Leica] xtol results?
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:20:49 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Christer Almqvist wrote:
>
>>See how they print for you first, then let us hear your problems.

I hear you, but there are some pretty thin shadow areas that I'll be
surprised to see exhibiting any detail ;)

These shots were mostly spot-metered so I'm a little surprised by the
shadows. But then, I almost never use TMAX so I do not really know what
to expect.  AND, I never have used Xtol before, let alone beyond the mfg
recommended dilution.  I guess I'm asking for trouble.

>We see that massive chart with all these asa's to choose it's a vast
>exciting pallet.
>It gives a very false impression.
>My first experience with a film developer combination I'd rate the film
>at the normal speed.

I did, one at 400 and one at 800 because I needed the extra speed
(failing light, ya know).

>And I have not found Xtol to be a realistic developer for pushing.
>And Modern T grain films would have a thinner look to still print well.
>If your film looks perfect to meaty then you've over developed it.
>They should look a tad thinner than Tri X or HP5.
>But if they are so thin you need to print with higher contrasts than you
>like then just give your negs more time next time in the developer.

I will add another couple of minutes when I develop the next roll
tonight - see how that looks.  I may also try 1:1 for a roll of ACROS
that I have to process tonight.

>But if your Xtol is now sitting in a half filled bottle or was before
>than it's anything goes.

No, I was listening to that whole 'beautiful bottle' thread and I have
taken care of the air ;)

Thanks guys!  I'll keep trying and hopefully post a few pics too.

- - marc

Message from Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> (Re: [Leica] xtol results?)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] xtol results?)