Subject: [Leica] M4-2! Fact or fiction
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:05:04 -0700

I was looking for a third M body and decided to combine utility with
scientific curiosity. I had a late production M4-2 in the past with only one
problem. The shutter bounced with a Winder-M attached and the speeds set
below 1/50. Many M cameras have had similar problems so I did not worry much
about it. I sold it when moving up to a TTL.

I found an early production M4-2 (the 814th M4-2 made not counting the 91 or
so with the red dot and R3 serial numbers) which had just been CLAed by the
Lisle-Kelco (the present Canadian distributor). I would have preferred to
have had it CLAed by Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada. The price was around
$900US.

Cosmetically the camera has the muddy tone that black chrome cameras get
with a great deal of handling. The silver is just starting to show but no
brass yet. A small chip out of the vulcanite right where the baseplate hooks
on, in my experience very common, but otherwise fine.

Defects on arrival were:

1) rangefinder needed minor tweaking

2) missing spring in the take up tulip

3) hotshoe spring collapsed so that mounted accessories are loose

4) frameline mech out of adjustment with the right side of the next largest
frameline slightly visible

I contacted the seller and got them to send me the CLA receipt (I needed
reassurance). They offered to have the defects repaired free but I have
decided not to send it back. The rangefinder I adjusted myself, the
frameline stuff is not a problem in use and I ordered the other minor parts
and will install them myself. I immediately ran a roll of chrome through it
with the usual testing of all the shutter speeds. The speeds sound good and
the results were good.

The finder flares just like my TTL does! My late model M4-2 (with no easy
vertical alignment screw) did not flare at all. It was the same as my M2.
This M4-2 has the old style vertical alignment adjustment screw so it has an
original finder in it. Weird and I think a famous quote from Shakespeare
would be appropriate. Choose one you like :-)

I am changing to a M2/3 wind lever, painted black, as I prefer them over the
plastic tipped ones; not for aesthetic concerns, but so you can still easily
wind on even with a finder or flash mounted.

I will keep you posted if anything else happens. I guess I just wanted to
put my money where my mouth is as I have always been an advocate of the
newer bodies. I am not against the older bodies but I do not agree with
those who hold that Leica has not made any good cameras after the end of M4
production.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Gwen & Jim Long" <jimlong@inwave.com> ([Leica] Keeping that flash contact cover in)
Reply from Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] M4-2! Fact or fiction)