Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter Exercise - collectors please ignore
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 08:47:44 -0700

Hi David,

You have not saved yourself any money at all.

Shutter exercise has its place but does not remove the need for regular
CLAs. Lubricants contain volatile components that eventually evaporate.
Working the shutter mechanism certainly keeps what is left mixed and keeps
the crud from hardening in the wrong places but it does not keep it properly
lubricated. If you use your cameras and do not want them to wear out
prematurely, then it is advisable to have CLAs at least every ten years to
replace the failing lubricants.

I was once at a Leica clinic and was just behind someone with a M3. It
looked as good as the day it left the store and everything "functioned
perfectly". Gerry Smith, Canadian Leica Repair God, listened to ONE shutter
release and would not let the chap even wind the camera on! He insisted it
be sent in for an immediate CLA. I was next in line with my used and abused
but regularly maintained M2 and Gerry fired it off at several speeds and
said everything was fine.

If you buy an old M camera, get a CLA. At the very least have an experienced
LEICA tech listen to the camera. All this talk of not ever having a CLA
makes me laugh. Do not try to sell me your piece of junk for a premium no
matter how pretty it looks. Shutter exercise is to keep the lubricant
properly distributed on the seldom used slow speed gear train. If you are
using regular shutter exercise to keep the gunk (that is left after all the
volatile components have evaporated) from hardening, you are being very
foolish.

If you do not use your cameras then who cares what you do. Camera collectors
are a funny lot. What would you think of someone who told you his vintage
car still had all the lubricants it left the factory with!

John Collier