Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom Setup Books
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:15:36 -0800

My favorite is
The Photographic Darkroom
It's arrangement and Use

By E.J. Wall, F.C.S, Hon. F.R.P.S.
Boston Massachusetts.
American Photographic Publishing Co.
The Plimpton Press, Norwood, Mass
1933

He tells you to remember to kiln dry your tongue and groove paneling for
your walls or you get cracks.
That's his first pice of advice.
"And put the timbers on the outside of the room so the interior walls
present a perfectly smooth appearance."
He says it should be a 10 by 12 ft. room.
He says don't have the walls black have them white or light colored. (I
agree with this)
Says to use enamel paint as it's washable.

He shows how to build a "maze" to get in and out of your darkroom
through which would not let light in.
I think it would also keep my dog out and a few of my less smart friends.

Illumination
He says if your darkroom is illuminated by a window then you can't work
at night. (this is not a typo)
And working at night is often the most convenient time.
So block off the window.
He says if you use roller blinds to block off your window it might not
really be light tight.

It just keeps getting better from there.

He says you can use oil or gas lamps but you have to have them outside
the room or the fumes will get you.

"At the present time the use of electric light is almost universal and
this illuminate is by far the most convenient, as one can have as many
lights as one wants....."

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com