Subject: [Leica] An Irish wake in a new land
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:31:06 -0700

An Irish wake in a new land

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=176307

Though I have been using my cameras a great deal this past year, I have been
avoiding developing my last B&W exposures from early April. Finally on
Christmas day I got up the courage to process, scan and print the film.
Images that had not yet faded from my mind greeted me as the printer snorted
and snuffled its way through the paper.

My father had past away while I was on my way home so I was not there to
wish him god speed; only a few hours too late. My family and I stayed with
him that night in the hospital and my mother slept one last night with him.
In the morning he was still warm from my mother's closeness. The women of
the family stripped and washed the body and we dressed him in fresh clothes
before the morticians came to take him away.

I was not sure what the reaction to the prints would be. Tears, yes, but not
despair. I am sure that none of the prints will be displayed but I am also
sure they will be much thumbed through in the decades to come.

Cameras are strange devices, what you see is certainly not what you get.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] An Irish wake in a new land)
Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] An Irish wake in a new land)
Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: An Irish wake in a new land)