Subject: [Leica] Re: To crop or not to crop
From: Arne Helme <Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:07:50 +0100

In message <002101c19c69$5e9ef760$0b01a8c0@sander>,
"Sander van Hulsenbeek" writes:
[...]
>Arme, I think you are absolutely right to submit you pictures as you took
>them. If you had  wanted to crop, you would have taken one, or two, steps
>forward. I am sure of that. Or have taken an orther picture! So good for
>you, submit them as they are!

Sander,

just as you, I shoot a lot of slide film with the intention to project slides.
 The slide is then the end result and cropping is not much of an option.  When
scanning slides there is the additional advantage of cropping.  However, in my
mind set it does not seem right to do so.  I am so focused on the entire frame
that cropping is not really an option.  In fact, all photos on my web site are
full frame uncropped photos.  I like to think of it as publishing the
potential of a photo, and not a final picture.

Arne's PAW #2 2002 with the now famous ashtray that started this thread
represents my interpretation of the scene at the time I took the photo.  Many
of you LUG photographers are much more experienced than I am, and would have
interpreted the scene very differently, and probably much better too.  PAW #2
simply represents my best shot at it.

So, should I crop, or should I have made a different composition when the
photo was taken?  Well, I am not into time traveling.  Therefore, cropping is
the viable option if I want to improve on the initial composition.  Lessons
have been learned here :-)!

- -- Arne
Arne Helme
Email: Arne.Helme at stelvio.nl (^" at "^@)
Work: +31-33-4697340, Fax: +31-33-4697341, GSM: +31-620135827
M&I/Stelvio bv, Zonnehof 41, 3811 ND Amersfoort, the Netherlands