Subject: Re: Provia 100F or K64? (was: Re: [Leica] Film survey.)
From: Arne Helme <Arne.Helme@stelvio.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:12:53 +0100

Doug,

when it comes to sharpness there is simply no contest.  K64 is definitely the
sharpest film.  In projection, the difference in sharpness is very visible.
The K64 slides have a sparkle to them that is second to none.  Looking at K64
slides after having used 100F for a while is like walking around the whole day
without wearing glasses and then in the afternoon start wearing them and
suddenly discover the brilliance of the leaves in the trees, the sharp edges
of buildings, and beautiful neutral colors.  Everything suddenly comes to life
again! IMHO :-)!

The downside is, as you say, that it is more difficult to scan K64.  And, of
course, the processing time is for most of us too long.  Sadly, the edge that
K64 has in projection is entirely lost when it is scanned.  If you want to
compare these films I think you have to take into consideration the intended
use of the them, scanning or projection.

I don't have any experience with pushing 100F, but a test review I read about
a year ago stated that it could without any reservations be pushed both 1 and
2 stops.

- -- Arne