Subject: RE: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl Site
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:33:47 -0500

BIG BIG BIG BIG difference between being one of the leading propagandists,
apologists, artistic pets for one of the most perverse mass murders in human
history, and being a shmuck, or having politics different from ones own.
John Wayne's politics make me ill - I love his movies. BIG difference.

I have to say I am really appalled by the "oh, but you have to look at the
art and ignore the politics" theme that recurs here from time to time. That
is absolute BS. If one wants to make the argument that Leni must be included
in a study of the history of documentary film making, no argument. But to
say, 'oh, look at these wonderful photos and overlook the politics?" Sorry,
but no way. That's really like saying, "That Hitler was really pretty
twisted, but he did some interesting little paintings."

B. D.

BTW - The Nubian stuff that everyone oooos and ahhhs over was, in essence,
just a rip-off of the work done earlier in B&W by George Rodgers, co-founder
of Magnum - who, ironically, after covering the liberation of the death
camps decided he could no longer deal with covering man's inhumanity to man,
and headed for more peaceful photographic pastures.