Subject: [Leica] Question re: Z2X
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:49:27 -0500

Dan,

I haven't had experience with every possible candidate, but I'd suggest that you keep your eyes out for a used Contax TVS -- the original one, as opposed to the TVS II or III.  It has some features that the later models don't have (like panoramic).  I've found the glass on this to be as good as you are going to get in a p&s zoom, and the camera offers a higher degree of user control than most p&s cameras.  It is very well constructed, has a number of flash options,
and doesn't seem as prone to generating redeye as many p&s cameras I've used.

That being said, if you really want optical quality at a low price, it is tough to beat the fixed focal length lens on a Yashica T5/T4 Super.  There are price and optical penalties for going to a high quality zoom in a p&s.

Mark