Subject: Re: [Leica] Mirror flapping and tripod dissertation
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:53:25 -0800

FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/30/2001 4:35:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, jim@brick.org
> writes:
>
> << The camera vibrations
>  radiate out (down the legs) and echo back to the camera. This does not
>  happen in either a wooden tripod or a carbon fiber tripod. >>
>
> Has anyone measured the magnitude of the reflected vibration? Leica has said
> since the SL that the mirror slows down before it hits the stop and thus,
> causes no vibration problem. Is that so or not? Further, if this vibation is
> a problem on a tripod does not hand-holding ameliorate the problem?
>
> Bob Figlio
> --

My approach is divided into three parts.
But first i consider a premium camera to have better mirror dampening.

1. Lock up the mirror when ever possible or prePop.

2. Something to be said for a heavier wooded tripod. I've gone that
route last month.

3. Leica M. No mirror to prePop!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Also when you use a flash its much less of an issue.