Subject: [Leica] My R8 Decision
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:19:27 -0800

Well, thanks to all your advise, and thanks to my procrastination about the
nice used R8/motor winder combination, I missed out on the used one and
purchased the new R8 yesterday AM.  Still on "vacation" here in Sunny
Southern Cal, I took it out with a roll of film to see what it can do and to
get use to it.  Poured rain all day long as we went to a few places for
shopping and eating.  I shot the roll in spite of the rain and will get it
developed today.  I might even be brave enough to post a few shots of the
"liquid sunshine" down here when I get home in a few days.  My in-laws tell
me they just want to make me feel at home, even though Eastern Washington is
normally as dry as So Cal.  I don't spread that around too much :-)

As everyone pointed out to me, the camera is great.  Lots of cool features I
can use, and they are easy to use.  I don't think it has any features I
won't use.  I like the placement of the controls.  Unlike some of my
students' wiz bang cameras where they have to press this and that to get
some wheel to change functions, this one is a piece of cake. Easy to make
the transition between the R4 and the R8.  I know I will like it more than
the R7 I had been contemplating.  Might have an R4 for sale soon if anyone
is interested.  I'll have it looked over first to make sure all is well.

Can't wait for Costco to open so I can see how the multipoint meter
performed in fairly tricky lighting situations.  The true test will be when
I shoot some slide film.

Thanks again for all the advice.  I know I will like this camera.

Aram Langhans