Subject: Re: [Leica] Gamma (was: my first Noctilux pictures & Gamma settings...)
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:52:25 -0800

John Straus said:

> Odd, I use IE 5 and I just made some jpegs to upload for my sister. Saved
> with no profile and opened it up in IE5 and they looked dark?! I swear
> this is how I did files for the web??? Now I just tried it with a gray
> gamma 2.2 profile (uploading B&W) and they hold from PS to IE5...??

Color management only works if there are color tags in the image file. When
you "Save with no profile" then IE5 has no way of knowing how to adjust the
gamma of those images. On the pictures that I made last night, I stripped
the color tags from the main images (force of habit), but left them in for
the "for PC users" images.