Subject: Re: [Leica] my first Noctilux pictures & Gamma settings...
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:01:42 -0600

on 12/27/01 12:09 AM, Brian Reid at reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

> Fuji Superia 800, scanned with an LS4000. All were F/1, at various shutter
> speeds indoors at night.
>
> http://reid.org/brian/Noct1/

Good to see a few and hope to see more shots with this lens !!

Did any of you guys see the LEICA fotographie with the Noctilux a few issues
ago? They has a few pages on it with shots from a Russian Circus. I was
really thrown off by the Vignetting on that lens vs the 50/2 in the 3 photos
they showed. The Nocti looked far better than the summicron at the f/2
aperture. I guess I didn't expect the cron to have that much even wide open.

I do have a question for you guys on Gamma, what are you running 2.2 or 1.8?
Since finding out a few years ago that posting photos on the web from a
default Mac setup STINKS. I had always set up my Mac with 2.2 gamma instead
of the 1.8 default since the majority of users run PCs. For the Mac guy
running a 1.8 but aren't all the jpegs you look at online light in the mids
since all the PC guys work on the jpegs @ 2.2 gamma? I personally would
rather image edit in 1.8 but conformed to 2.2 due to it being the majority.

I'm not hacking on the 1.8 Mac guys and it was cool of Brian to do all the
extra work posting 2x the amount of picts for us 2.2 users ;) Too bad we
haven't got to the point of having your browser and desktop and image editor
run on their own gamma settings (I know impossible).
- --
John
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com