Subject: [Leica] if it lives under a bridge it's probably a .....
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:50:33 -0500

> By the way - I_m interested in the M6 only because of my interest in
> photographing parrots in the rainforests of South America.
> I wonder if 135mm is enough telephoto - is there nothing more powerful
from
> a third party? - perhaps I would be better off with a Hassie, except for
the
> size and possibly the build quality of the Hassie body which is not, I've
> heard, in the same league as the M6.

dang. i wish i'd thought to post that one!

the obvious answer is to get the M6 Wildlife Conversion Kit from leica USA,
it replaces some components on the M6 with ones more suited to wildlife
photography. it's expensive to have leica do it, so i'll include
instructions
for how to do this at home. nota bene: only a FULLY QUALIFIED CAMERA REPAIR
TECHNICIAN should attempt this conversion.

1) take your leica m6 titanium and using an xacto or razor blade gently pry
   off the red dot, be careful not to bend it. set the red dot and the m6
   aside.

2) call up b&h and order a nikon f5 or d1x, AF 400mm 2.8, 1.4 TC, a 300 2.8,
   and the 80-200 2.8; a carbon fiber tripod; and a nice outback trekker.

3) when the nikon arrives, using a black magic marker, cover up the words
   "nikon" and "f5".

4) place red dot from your m6 onto the pentaprism of the former nikon
chassis.

your m6 has been coverted and you're ready to photograph parrots.

the other option is to buy a Browning Citori over/under 12 gauge Lighting
Feather and some # 12 "dust" shot (used by taxidermists). shoot the
brightest
colored parrots and then wire them to nearby tree branches and photograph
them with your visioflex.

either option will produce stunning results.

kc

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] if it lives under a bridge it's probably a .....)
Reply from "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com> (Re: [Leica] if it lives under a bridge it's probably a .....)