Subject: RE: [Leica] Film scanner recommendations.
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:32:00 -0500

> On 18-12-2001 03:57 Michael Chmilar wrote:
>
> > The Polaroid SprintScan 4000 has had drastic price cuts recently. It
> > used to cost
> > as much as the Nikon 4000, but can be found now for around $550.
>
> Does the Polaroid have the digital ICE mechanism for automatic removal of
> dust and scratches (there is an improved version of this in the Nikon
> LS-4000) ?
> This is essential to me and may well be the decisive factor, all other
> things being equal (if so, of course).

Hi Pascal,

Well, you've been duped into believing you need/want it.  The "Digital ICE"
is not near as necessary on other scanners.  The Nikon uses point light
sources (LEDs) and it pretty much requires it.  Other scanners that use a
diffuse light source don't need it.  I have a scanner that doesn't have it,
and I have never had a problem at all with revealing dust and/or scratches.

Regards,

Austin