Subject: Re: [Leica] ordered Noctilux
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:13:57 -0800

Brian Reid wrote:

> I've spent the last year taking pictures with a 1.4 Summilux wide open, and I am often outraged that the dial stops at 1.4. I have used a Noctilux once, for a day, and I know what it is, and I know that it is an acquired skill. But mostly I find that (a) the pictures that I want to take are all indoors in poor light, and (b) the Noctilux will, for the first time, allow me to use an "if you can see it, you can photograph it" discipline. ><Snip>

Again Brian pretty soon you'll feel like you're stopping WAY DOWN to f 1.4

like when the sun is blazing and you're not using the slowest films.
I hate that but have dutifully followed the instructions and not gotten
a filter for it.

I will though, a green.
So i can shoot Neopan 1600 when the sun shines as well is when it don't.
A lens like any Leica lens you can pass on to your grandchildren.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

And I've stopped down even further than f1.4. To f4 even and not died!
The DOF pictures I've taken with it look no worse than with my Summicron.

It's just a heavy thing to carry around if that's what you're going to
do a whole lot of.

Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] ordered Noctilux)