Subject: Re: [Leica] ordered Noctilux
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:05:23 -0800

Brian Reid wrote:

> > How did you break the news to your spousal
> > unit?
>
> I had a gift certificate for about half of the cost. I sold my newly-reconditioned Speed Graphic for most of the rest, and wrote a check for what was left. Leica USA is offering a $200 rebate; I'll give that to her...
>
> NO ARCHIVE

I hope you don't regret it Brian it's a very interesting lens to work with.
Very easy to under estimate.
I half thought i was making a mistake when getting mine 111 days ago
(what can I say I'm a database nut, it's all on Filemaker)
and used to wonder about the Noctilux threads on the lug. Wonder if
these guys were getting it for the "right (to me) reasons."
Which for me at the time was doing edgy night alley work shooting
junkies and black cats.

It has lots as well all know by now other interesting uses:
Indoor work, that's a big one.
Slow film work at less than idea times is another.
and in general selective focus work with a whole slew of films, slow to
extra fast.

I'll be keeping mine. Which is nice because i hate to sell stuff.
It's changed the way i do much of my shooting with all my lenses and
even larger formats. I used to almost always stop down as much as i could.
Now i often open up as much as i can.

You can sat it's F 1 and be there... but more realistically it's -
F 1000th of a second and be there!

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com