Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX-M f/1/50 mm
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:16:10 -0800

>Okay guys...;-)...I have a feeling people missing my Noctipoints.

I don't think anyone has missed anything. Some of those who have responded
to your posts just disagree with you about the relative significance of its
shortcomings when it comes to actually using the lens. I think if you used
the lens for a while, you'd see just how minor these "flaws" are.

>That said, I think that many on the LUG overrate it's
>utility to a really ridiculous degree.

This is your opinion, and it seems to contradict what a number of
Noctiusers have said about it.

> I don't believe for a second that
>members of this list would even consider as an all purpose 50 mm lens a
>lens that causes quite visible vignetting,

As I mentioned last time around, *all* Leica 50s vignet wide open, except
maybe the Elmarit (see Erwin's "Compendium" for details). The Summicron has
something like 1.7 stops light fall off in the corners and the Summilux
more than 2 stops, if I recall.

>has really weird bokeh - go
>back and look at those color shots of Rei's

If you're basing your assessment solely on what you've seen on the screen,
your criticism is too limited to be useful. From what I've seen in my own
prints and in books, the bokeh of the Noctilux is beautiful, every bit as
nice as the current 50 Summicron. But maybe this is an issue of personal
taste. You use the C/V Nokton, if I recall, which according to others on
the list (Deadman, Hans Pahlen) has a harsh bokeh. If that's your point of
comparison, than yes, maybe the bokeh of the Noctilux seems odd to you.

>is COMPARATIVELY to other Leica lenses, heavy as a truck and just as
>wide as a truck, and intrudes so into the viewfinder.

As I and others have mentioned, these problems are negligeable.

 No way. And if
>Nikon made an all purpose 50 that did any of those things you guys would
>be laughing your rears off making fun of it.

Not so, I for one have frequently touted the Nikon 50/1.2 MF on this list.
I think it's a very good lens and have often said so.

>So...Praise the Noctilux for what it is - the finest available darkness
>lens available. Period. It doesn't need to be more than that. And it
>isn't more than that.
>B. D.

Instead of pontificating, why not just let others have their own opinions
and leave it at that? You've stated repeatedly your criticisms of the lens
(though you never mentioned how much, if at all, you've actually used one).
Others (who do in fact use them, some - like Tina and Ted - on a regular
basis for years now) have rebutted. What more remains to be said?

Guy