Subject: Re: [Leica] re: first lens?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:28:26 -0800

Jason wrote and asked:
>>> Someone put me right... apart from cost issues why would one, after
> investing in a Leica, want to use a non Leica lens on a Leica body? A
system
> is only as strong as the weakest link and therefore if I should use old
> Russian lens's I might just as well buy an old Russian camera? I also
> purchased a non Leica lens (Voightlander Ultron) but in hindsight I wish
id
> have waited until I had the case for a Summicron 35.<<

Hi Jason,
Well I suppose if you purchased some of the "not so great non Leica lenses
out there in the cold cruel world" you'd be perfectly correct, the chain
would probably fall apart.

However, one can buy excellent non-Leica glass and not weaken the link
whatsoever, actually you may very well strengthen your ability as a
photographer because you have the equipment. And I might add, excellent
quality re-production from a non-Leica lens.

Take for example, the Voigtlander 15 with adapter for the M camera as an
example. I and many other M users have used this lens with absolutely
excellent results, besides Leica do not make a lens of this size for the M
and if they did, it would probably be in the "thousands of $ or close to
that" compared to the about $500.00 plus change, Voigtlander with
viewfinder!

I agree there are many junk lenses out there that will completely destroy
one's faith in using their M camera, but one can't lump all non-Leica glass
as bad lenses and weak links in the chain, they're not.

I'd suggest anyone considering buying odd ball glass to run the type of lens
past the knowledgeable folks of the LUG for advise before buying.  It sure
could save a ton of heartbreaking images.
ted

 Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant