Subject: RE: [Leica] Do I need a 0.58 body?
From: "Steve Beyer" <leica@beyerphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 05:50:16 -0500

Hi Ray,
    I love my .58 for wide angle stuff.  I also wear glasses and the .58
has made it a joy to work with my 35mm lenses.  I do not have a 28 or a
Tri-elmar so I can not really comment here.  I have gone the route of
having the .58 and a pair of .85 for my other lenses.  I have a
Noctilux, a 90 and a 135 that I use on the .85's.  I think the .58 and
.85 make more sense as a combo to me.  The .72 is kind of a compromise.
Its strength is that it works for all of the lenses.  The real weakness
and pluses of the .58 and .85 is that one of the viewing screens only
has one frame line.  On the .58 you lose the 135 and on the .85 you lose
the 28.  Since I am an avid 35mm shooter, I really enjoy this feature on
the .58.  I also don't find it a nuisance on the .85 since I do not own
a 28.  I found that I could see the frame lines with a .72 but it was a
bit of a struggle.  Now the 35 is a joy to use much like a 50 on a .72.
If you find you are having trouble framing your photos, this would be an
excellent second body.  However, you should be prepared for saving up
for the .85. :-)

Steve