Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions on the R8
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 21:56:23 -0800

><Snip>
> Have you tried other modern dedicated flash with their respective cameras?
> You don't have to set anything at all if you so wished.
> In this area, Leica has become the 'also ran' (not even that) and does not
> have that 'innovative spirit' it once had.
>
> Thank you Mark for your response.
>
> Eng

I've used Nikon Af's with matrix metering extensivly and it seems to
just work like a charm. But it's been a decade.
Center weighted would be find. I was fine with that before Matrix.
Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it
for yourself.
Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive.
Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.
If Leica hasn't gotten that far it would not break my heart.
No a Leica R8 doesn't have to be a high tech camera wired to the gils
like a computer.
It's already plenty more high tech than i really need.
It's been years since I've used an A or P. setting but when i get an R8
I might and I'd not think I'd kill me.
An M setting I'd use plenty as well and be fine with that.

I think the real in ovation in the R8 is the ergonomic innovation  and
it's process of being realized which Leica invented for the development
of that camera and was described by Erwin Putts in a magazine article i
think it was Leica Photographie  - It's feel and ease of use.
But mainly it's the glass.
It always comes back to the glass.

The first most important photographic tool is my glass.
Then my tripod. The best tripod i can find for the job.
First Glass, then Tripod....

The camera is just a L connector which attaches my glass to my tripod.

Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?
Morpheus: You've never used them before.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com