Subject: Re: [Leica] R3 problem
From: Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 21:40:28 -0800

This same thing happened to my R3 Safari. I bought it as 'new old stock'
a couple years ago, which means it had been sitting in a box for like
100 years. Well, after a few rolls, it just stuck, mirror up, during one
of the rare days that we could mingle around the Watts Towers. Too bad,
I missed a lot of shots. I walked it into a local Leica dealer, and they
managed to unjam it - they said it was sticky and the shutter had not
finished its cycle. I watched them very gently pushed the mirror up
higher to get it to complete its cycle, then it dropped down and has
worked fine since. I plan to have it CLA'd soon, but it just keeps
working so I am in no hurry. I doubt I will send it to Leica either -
they are so expensive and slow.

If I were you, I would try the slight pressure up on the mirror, being
careful not to bend it at all, and if that fails, send it back to Leica.
if they just went over it there should be no problems for another 20 years!

Good luck!
- - marc