Subject: [Leica] Goggled lenses on bodies other than the M3
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:16:53 -0700

While there is no doubt that a 35mm lens without goggles is more pleasurable
to use on a M body other than a M3 and MP, it does display the correct field
of view and focus correctly on any M camera. The goggled lenses have
rangefinder coupling cams that only work with the goggles on. If you take
the goggles off they will not focus accurately with any M body. With the
goggles on they will focus accurately with any M body.

Leica confirms this as it says that you cannot use lenses with goggles on
the CL for obvious reasons. No such restrictions are listed for the M5 or
other M cameras (source: General Catalogue 1 July 1977 and similar).

This is also confirmed where the Summaron35/3.5 with detachable eyes needs
to be machined before it can be used on the M5. There no other restrictions
mentioned about other goggled lenses (source: Handbook of the Leica System
9/95 and similar).

Gunter Osterloh, Leica technical dude, also lists no restrictions about
using goggled lenses on the M5 other than the modification necessary for the
35/3.5 mentioned above (source: Leica M, The Advanced School of Photography)

Another confirmation that goggled lenses will work all the M cameras is the
135/2.8 which uses goggles to modify the 90mm framelines to show the 135mm
field of view. It works on both the M3/MP and other M cameras and did not
come in separate versions.

Many Leica-Users have also anecdotally reported no problems using the
goggled 35/1.4 wide open with M cameras other than the M3 and MP.

John Collier

> From: SthRosner@aol.com
>
> ........It will, of course, function correctly on an M3 (only). It will not
> function correctly on any other M body - as John Van Stelten informed me
> within the last week in answer to  that very question. The focussing cam is
> mated to the M3 RF roller arm that is different from the RF arm on M2, M4, M5
> and M6 cameras.

and later added: