Subject: Re: [Leica] Missed opportunities
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:16:55 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 12:01:36 -0800 Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> wrote:
> At 08:08 AM 12/6/2001 -0600, Walter S Delesandri wrote:
>
> >BTW, Sonny, our local 120 year old hardware store went out of business a
> >coupla years
> >ago....I meant to "document" it for several years before that, and DIDN'T!!!!
> >
> >Walt
>
> I live dead center in Silicon Valley. Stand on my roof and you can see
> National Semiconductor, AMD, Amdahl, Intel, etc. All within blocks, not miles.
>
> One block from me is a five acre field called the "Corn Palace."

> For years, I though of documenting the property and thought about taking
> one photograph each week from exactly the same spot.

> Then we heard that the developers could not get funding and that the deal
> was off
> The old guys (Joe & Ben) that own and work the ground, and sell in the
> stand, are in their 80's. Their kids actually do a lot of the heavy labor

 Now, every Friday morning at 7am, I photograph the Corn Palace from exactly

 I'm going to print 52 10x10 Ciba prints, make an album, and give it to Joe
> & Ben. But I won't stop photographing. I'm going to continue but from a>

 This is one time that it didn't slip by. But I have Angela to thank for it.

Great story, Jim, and thanks for the post....sounds like a wonderful document...

> Sorry to hear that you missed it Walt.

Actually, the store is now a "museum", and I didn't totally miss it...I have
some nice stuff from the last two years or so,,, but it really isn't the same
as when I used to run over there for emergency lab repair junk!!!

Walt