Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 48 - & tilts ;-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:20:14 -0800

Pablo wrote:
>>A really candid shot shot from a candid bookstore. Genuflection
would make that photo as much better as less vivid, less interesting.
Some rules are there to be broken, at least once in a while and Nathan's
bookshop photos should fit there.<<<

Hi Pablo,
You're right about the converging lines, it isn't gospel to hold the camera
straight all the time and that it should always be perfectly straight and
distortion is OK. Why? Because all rules are meant to be broken and or bent.
And I have absolutely no problem with breaking the rules and if I did I
would always drive exactly at the speed limit. ;-)

When I made my point earlier,  it was in relation to the two ways this
happens... One the lean is severe and the eye accepts the leaning because
it's so dominant it makes a great effect.

The other leaning is a "little bit" and that's when it becomes annoying,
simply because the photographer... did not hold the camera straight and he
didn't intend the lean to be there on purpose.

Other members have said they were ok with the little leaning, that's their
prerogative. However, when it happens in this fashion that's not holding the
camera correctly, period!

If one is going to do this, then do it wildly and make it very effective,
not tilting down slightly due to poor camera handling. What folks need to
understand is having it happen in this fashion " by accident " only
illustrates the photographer didn't do it right!

And some have voiced they're quite OK with this, sorry guys not me, as it
makes one look like they are careless in how they shoot and do not pay
attention to the nit picking things that sort out the solid photographs from
the ...sort of Ok but...... photographs.

Do my comments correct Nathan's shot, nope not at all, do they take anything
away from two fine photographs, nope.  However, I bet the next time he
handles his camera with any wide lens he's going to remember my words. And
in some cases they'll save him from making the same mistake at a time when
it'll be very important to have all the verticals straight.

And that has more to do with my comments than nit picking. Thank you.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant