Subject: RE: [Leica] To cheer up: now in praise of Leica
From: "Dave Myers" <myers@beautifulmichigan.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:13:10 -0500

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

"Sorry, Walt D. and Stephen G., I simply cannot tolerate the view that the
Nikon RF
cameras "were every bit the equal of Leica in terms of usability..."

They were very nice, sturdy designs. Excellent cameras with fine optics. Yet
they
were not timeless the way every Leica M has been since the beginning. Leicas
have
better rangefinders (what it's all about) and better ergonomics than any
other 35mm
marque ever made."

I'm with Emanuel on this.  I used to own a Nikon S3.  It was a beautiful
camera to behold, but ergonomically it came up short.  When you turned the
aperture ring, the focus changed.  It was aggravating.  The camera took
beautiful pictures, but there was much to much fussing in the process.  I
ended up trading it for a nice M6 with a 35 Summicron AND a good deal of
money.  I expect some collector now has it on a shelf somewhere.  That
somehow seems appropriate, as I had it on a closet shelf for 25 years before
I sold it.

Dave Myers