Subject: [Leica] Re: To cheer up all the dissatisfied Leica users
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:45:50 -0500

2001-11-25-17:20:03 Henning Wulff:
> I haven't had any defective Leica products out of the box in the past
> ten years, but I _did_ have a couple in the 60's, and more in the
> 70's.

The only new piece of Leica gear I've bought which was bad out of the
box (aside from a few things like stiff spots in focusing which worked
their way out with use, and pull-out lens shades which refuse to stay
put, probably due to a design flaw) was a brand-new 0.85-mag M6TTL
whose rangefinder was misadjusted from the get-go.  It also had the
early-TTL problem of sucking batteries dry in weeks.  I sent it in for
repair, and waited with some frustration as it didn't come back, and
didn't come back... then, a year later, they sent me a new camera.
Turned out they were waiting for the engineering team to redesign the
electronics so's not to require bus-bars from a hydroelectric plant to
keep 'em powered, and for the changes to make it into production.  The
new camera has been perfect -- including battery life comparable to
the M6 Classic.  So... frustrating at the time, but I admire their
insistence on getting it really truly right the second time.

Message from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] To cheer up all the dissatisfied Leica users)