Subject: Re: [Leica] To cheer up all the dissatisfied Leica users
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:09:20 EST

In a message dated 11/25/01 9:53:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, Gwpics@aol.com
writes:

> I thought the following from a newsgroup may make us all feel a little
better
> about the occasional problem we have with leica gear:
>
>  >This is my second failure from new Canon equipment in >the last 12 months
(
> previously IS switch on a 28-135 >after 4 months and just 2 rolls). I've
only
> bought >four Canon items ever, all new, and two have already >packed up.
>
>  There, feel better now?

In a word, no. The short message here is we're not so hot but the others are
worse.

Are there any LUGGERS who can recall getting Leica cameras or lenses from the
Ernst Leitz Wetzlar years that were defective right out of the box,
brand-new? In fact, how many of us have bought 25-30 year-old Leica cameras
and lenses, had them CLA'd by Sherry, DAG and Focal Point, and then used them
for 10-15 or more years with absolutely no problems?

It is true that we are living in a different world than 30 years ago. But the
biggest problem Leica/Solms has is not designing great cameras and lenses.
Their designs are absolutely world-class. It is eliminating manufacturing
glitches and then tightening the quality-control and inspection process so
that when a defect occurs, it is caught and corrected before the product is
shipped, and not by the end-user. The Leica buyer has a right to expect more
from a company with Leica's reputation.

For Leica not to do so is to ensure a loss of customer confidence in Leica
quality and a slow death for a Company we all fervently wish to survive and
prosper.

Seth         LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] To cheer up all the dissatisfied Leica users)