Subject: Re: [Leica] To cheer up: now in praise of Leica
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:50:14 -0500

The real point is that many of us are using camera's and lenses 40 to 60
years old as if they were fresh out the box, no worries.  The images are
competitive, if we want to spend more money we can get state of the art
lenses and use them on cameras 47 years old, or vice versa if we want an old
look with new hardware.  I don't think any system out there can take the
pounding that these Leica's take and keep ticking.  This includes the N****
F.

I have a friend who used to shoot trains with his SL2 MOT.  Set up on a
tripod in the yard, focus on an engine, load a roll of 36 chrome, let it
rip.  Repeat until you had 1000 frames or so.  Focus on a new engine, do the
same.  He did this day after day, brick after brick after brick, his SL2 is
still in good condition.  Ted has put haw many thousand frames through his
M's with how little service?  Compare that with the newer Japanese hardware,
where something goes wrong after 10,000 frames or so. Yes, there are counter
examples but on average the examples hold.

So, yes, we should complain loudly to Solms when QC doesn't.  But we should
remember that once in good order, these gadgets run a lot of film with
almost no complaint.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from Phil Marcus <pmarcus@swbell.net> (Re: [Leica] To cheer up: now in praise of Leica)