Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Piezo Plunge
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:05:09 -0800

Eric,

It's not what they can and can't do but how they do it.

The 1280 is 6 color. The 3000 is 4 color. From what I gather there's no
advantage to hextone over quadtone for greyscale printing. Yet there's a
price disadvantage in having to deal with 2 more shades of ink. That's why
the now discontinued 4 color 1160 is popular for greyscale printing. It was
an inexpensive printer that used quadtone inks.

The 3000 has individual carts. It's large capacity with no special CIS
system required. The 1280 has intelligent carts which are lower capacity.
CIS is an option, but it's an add on and an external design with issues I
won't address here. (I have CIS on a 1200).

The 3000 is a much more robust printer. It can handle 17 inch wide paper
((i.e. make 16x20 prints) The 1280 only handles 13 inch paper. However, for
lower capacity printing on paper 12 inches and smaller, both should do
equally good output.

One thing I've learned is that a less expensive printer doesn't mean less
cost. I have nearly equal costs invested in my 1200 and my 3000. Probably
more in the 1200 if you consider time for things like setup,  trouble
shooting, and maintenance. I'm saving up for a 5500.

Dave