Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo Plunge
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 19:57:15 -0500

> I picked up an Epson 3000 yesterday. I plan to get the Piezo software and
> inks from Inkjet Mall. I've been hearing raves for a long time.
> The recent
> LUG posts on the subject put me over the top. I found an open box 3000
> without color inks and cheap. I couldn't pass it up.

The 3000 is the best printer for Piezo, short of the 7000 and PiezoPro/24
what ever they call it.

> First, what's a
> reasonable print size to expect from Leica negs (or any 35 for
> that matter)
> and Piezo inks and driver?

Slow speed film with proper development and exposure...13x19, if your
scanner can handle giving you that kind of resolution...a decent 4000SPI
scanner should do it.

Two cheap and incredible scanners are the SprintScan 4000, and the Leafscan
35.  I prefer the Leafscan 35 for B&W simply because it scans B&W using a
single neutral density filter, instead of what other scanners do, scan in
RGB and convert RGB to grayscale.

> Do factors like grain, tonality, etc. still give 100 speed film an
> advantage over 400 speed films,  or does it get lost in the
> digital process.

None of the tonality and grain get lost.

> OTOH I seem to be getting deeper and deeper into digital. What's next, a
> digital camera?

NO!  Jim...your cue...

Seriously though, you can not do with digital what you can do with film at
this point in time, and even in the near future.

Replies: Reply from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Piezo Plunge)
Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Piezo Plunge)