Subject: [Leica] R5-R7 decision
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 09:38:02 -0800

Maybe I could get some help with my decision.  I use an R4 right now and
would like to upgrade a bit.  My main motive is that my eye sight is getting
to the stage at age 51 that I will need some viewfinder diopter help.  I was
all set on an R5 from a fellow LUGite, but then a friend brought over his
"new" R7.  A bit larger, but not much.  I have to admit I was always put off
by the R5's lack of 1 second manual shutter selection.  I take quite a few 1
second shots as I like to shoot waterfalls, streams and do a fair amount of
macro work where 1 sec gives me that one extra stop DOF.  I know that this
speed is available in aperature priority mode, but I have never trusted auto
modes.  Having shot with an all manual Rollei SL35 for close to 30 years
before getting my R4 last year, I haven't made the physological switch.
Often I must use less or more exposure than the meter tells me and in manual
mode this is easy.

The R7 has this 1 second and more.  It has 1/2 shutter speeds.  I tend to
think that f-stop is more important than shutter in my style of shooting,
and often have to open or close a 1/2 stop to be able to use the full
shutter steps.  Maybe this 1/2 stop thing is carrying things too far.

Can anyone give me any perspective in this deilema?  Should I get an R5 or
spend twice the money on an R7?  Has anyone seen real practical beneifts to
the R7?  Is the meter more accurate?  Benefits of 1/2 shutter speed
selection?  Any other real improvements on the R7?  Actually looking at used
prices it is only a few hundred bucks more for an R8.  R7's are going for
$8-900 and R8's are around $1100.

I could get another lens for the difference in price if I bought the R5.

Decisions, decisions.

Aram

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
P. O. Box 159/101 W. 5th. St.