Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Dreams
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:48:57 -0500

Jim-
You sound like an ole fuddy-duddy!!! :o)
I remember buying a tube of nine 1 meg RAM chips about 15 years ago for my
old PC and thinking that at $19 each, I had actually put a full Meg into my
PC and for less than $200!

I remember in the Navy, we had a saying- "The only difference between a
fairy tale and a sea story is that a fairy tale begins with, "Once upon a
time..." and a sea story begins with, "Say, this is no sh*t!" Perhaps we are
spinning yarns, and dreaming wildly but you can never tell!
Things change, and at an astounding rate, and even if you are in the
industry, and can see the 'seamy' side of the digital world, you have to
admit that in the next few years, somebody, somewhere, in some lab is gonna
shout, "EUREKA", start planning his golden parachute, then announce a
multi-mully-gigglebit chip, probably with an entirely previously unknown
substrate that allows an effective 'film' speed of no less than 6400, and be
user controlable to record scenes in the range of 200 to maybe 1100 nm, and
after another two years, they come in disposable cameras- once the lithium
batteries die, you just buy the next generation!! He may even call his ole
buddy Jim Brick, the Software Maven up and get him to do the
microprogramming!!
I have seen a lot of amazing things in the last few years, so I am not going
to be shocked if it happens, and even not disappointed if it doesn't, but it
is fun to speculate!!
Say, Jim, what do YOU want for Christmas!!??  :o)
Dan ( Here comes Santy-Klaus,,,,!) Post

I DON'T suffer from insanity...
I enjoy every minute of it!