Subject: Re: [Leica] the 90% rule-long, rambling BS from Walt
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:02:06 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I have a desire to get flamed.
Leicas DO NOT make better pictures than "acceptable" equipment by ANY
other maker.  I've used IT ALL.  I've said for years, buy Leica FOR OTHER
REASONS (feel, pride, compactness, reliability or at least 'repairability',
low light focusing with WAs, etc....)...NOT for "results".

Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Konica, etc....TAKE THE SAME PICTURES.

Even Erwin states (if somewhat cryptically) that the ONLY way to
see the superiority of this glass is to use a tripod, VERY slow transparency
film, speeds that don't shake the camera, etc...
If I felt that Cosina gear was built for the 'long' haul, and would remain
supported by the maker in 25 years, I'd have NO problem switching.
If Nikon had brought out an SP for the price of the M6, I'd already be
using it. (the real thing, not some plastic imitation).

If you're holding your Leica in your hands, using it in a 'real world' manner,
with 'real world' films, then you might as well use a nikon or canon--if you're
worried about "quality"
 I've NO
doubt that current Ni/Ca/Oly lenses are as good or better than my 60s-80s
Leica lenses.  But I >>>>LIKE<<<< my Leicas (and my Nikons!)...and I'll continue
to pay through the ass to use them.

An "Epiphone" guitar is NOT a Gibson....but I'll be damned if anyone other
than me in the bar can tell....Period....give it 20 years, and like Leica,
there MIGHT be a difference in the way they hold up....but who knows?...
If ya'll are into this, I have a new "1958" Fender Deluxe clone (amplifier)
It's built so it's roadworthy, and will hold up better than the real thing
EVER would have, even new.....but it's NOT the same as a ragged, torn up,
cigarette burned 1958 amp...--to me (I have a real '60 vibrolux)...but for
my "user" ,it's perfect...throw it in the van, leave the bar with it on
the stage (might get stolen?)...etc....I don't have to WORRY about it...
That's the way I'd look at the Cosina/Konica/etc....throw it in the trunk
and don't worry...(that's where my 1970 M4 is now....if it gets hot I'll
have to go get it out of there!!)

If pride of ownership, feel, longevity, is important to you (YES!!!!), and IF
you think more and make better pictures with it,(YES!!!!) -- then buy Leica...
it's the best...not as good as it was 30 years ago, but what is?

Walt

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 08:03:50 -0800 kyle cassidy <kcassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
wrote