Subject: RE: [Leica] Joel Meyerowitz at Ground Zero with 8x10 Deardorff
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:05:55 -0600

I  read a number of interviews with him over the last year and he says
several times that when he started using the 8x10 for his Cape pictures he
adapted his street photography technique to it and basically carried it
everywhere, the shops, parties, filling up at the gas station, and shot
accordingly. He basically saw it as using an 8x10 for street photography -
which obviously gives very different results due to it's size and being a
little slower to use, and the results you get due to the film size itself
etc. And obviously he also went other directions with it too.

His shot of a girl standing still at a Cape Cod summer party is, to me,
great "street photography" with an 8x10

(remember, much of Martin Parr's street photography is done in 6x9 and a
number of luggers are doing 4x5 street photography with rangefinder Super
Graphics (we can't afford Linhofs after what we have already spent on
Leicas!!)

Tim A

PS - I also did some 8x10 "street photography" this summer. It's not so much
the camera is big or slowish to use - that was no problem. It's just that
the Dorff weighs so damned much and my shoulder hurt like hell! Akin to
being lumbered with carrying a mortar base plate, but I was a lot younger
then...