Subject: Re: [Leica] Joel Meyerowitz at Ground Zero with 8x10 Deardorff
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:33:23 -0500

> "B. D. Colen" wrote:
>>
>> No! No! No! :-) My point is that I DON'T think he is using an 8x10 for
>> street shooting, but is using an 8x10 for his WTC Pompeii project, uses
>> one for projects such as Cape Light, but uses 35 for street
>> shooting...but I may be wrong....Whether he does it or not, I, like the
>> LUGers to whom you refer, would consider using a view camera more than a
>> little absurd for street shooting, unless one were literally shooting
>> the "street-" Say setting up in Times Square at night and recording the
>> passing throng with a time exposure.
>>
>> B. D.
>>
> Well next time you go out and set up a view camera on the sidewalk and get
> street shots come home and tell us about it. I think you'll be gushing.
>
> Every time I've done it I've found it very obvious and energetic. I never feel
> not more invisible but part of the street scene in just the right way.
Accepted
> as a photographer doing his photography.
> It's very doable and Joel is certainly doing it. Often it's you let the action
> come to you or you wait for the next thing to happen in front of you. I'm very
> OK with that.
> Meyerowitz has got an edge because the technique is widely dismissed as
> unpermissible.
> I find that just wierd.
>

> Mark Rabiner

Just to weigh in on this topic--photographers have been using large, tripod
mounted cameras to shoot Street Photography for 150 years. Meyerowitz is the
co-author of the definitive book on Street Photography, 'Bystander' and he
has used a Leica M for SP since the early '60s. He started using a tripod
mounted 8x10 in the late '60s or early '70s. And there is a picture of
Meyerowitz shooting with an 8x10 in Central Park in one of Garry Winogrands
street photo books.

sl