Subject: [Leica] re-Rangefinder Misalignment
From: Tristan Tom <tristan@tristantom.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:23:29 -0700

I have a true story about rangefinder misalignment. When I was in college,
I borrowed my Grandfather's M3 for a photography class project. It had been
used and abused in the past, but had been sitting in a closet for years
when I got my hands on it.

It was badly out of whack to the point where vertical lines would not match
up, except to make an 'X'. I used the camera anyway and the results were
totally fine with beautifully focused shots. Heck, I even got a 'A' on the
project.

Tristan Tom

Marc James Small wrote:
>>> Cool!  Why worry about it, then?  It doesn't affect accuracy.  I believe
> Ted Grant has had this condition in one of his cameras for years (REAL
> donkey's years in Ted's case:  this is the man who had to license Daguerre
> to use his patented chemical formulae, way back in 1839, when Ted was
> merely middle-aged.)<<<<

Marc old buddy you're so kind as always! ;-)

I had the same thought earlier when reading a post on this camera and nearly
posted my, "If you still get everything sharply focused and it's out of
alignment why worry!"

Just because one is off and you still get sharp images because one part is
working OK, why worry and fuss, just save your money and keep using it until
it doesn't function at all.

So far I think the M6 I have that's slightly out of whack has probably been
going strong for at least ten years and I just disregard it, as I do without
a lens shade for the Noctilux where the two little locking pins that held
the shade in place fell out.

Like once again, it's no big deal as long as everything is working.  I know
some one is going to say "well without the lens shade you'll get all kinds
of flair!"  Really?

Let me know where I can find it! Thanks. ;-)
ted